Sunday, June 5, 2016

Shortcake

Shortcake with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
We are currently experiencing some unusually warm weather for this time of year (read - it's too hot!). I thought a some early strawberries and Jean Butler shortcake would be a great recipe to kick off this summer.
The shortcake is actually supposed to be more like a cake...baked all in one big circle and filled in the middle with the fruit of your choosing, but I brought this treat to a birthday party and I thought that single-serve portions would be better, hence the triangles!

The dough came together great, it went from crumbles to a solid ball. I like to take cold butter and slice it up into small bits, and then put it in the freezer while I prep the rest of the ingredients. That seems to help everything to come together and helps the pastry cutter do it's business without the whole thing turning to mush. I also kept the milk in the refrigerator until it was time to add it.

I really like the technique of splitting the dough in half, with a layer of melted butter in between. It made it really easy to split, while the middle is perfectly flaky and cooked.

As you can see, I served with it strawberries, but I'm sure it would be fantastic with any fruit you have handy. I split the dough into 12 small triangles for this occasion, but if I was making this on a regular evening I would serve 6 large slices.

Shortcake

2 cups flour, sifted 4 times with
4 tsp baking powder (Royal if you can find it)
1/2 TSP salt
1/4 cup sugar

With knives or pastry cutter, cut into this mixture:
1/3 cup butter. Add:
1/3 cup milk, gradually.

Roll out onto floured board as for biscuits. Place one-half of the dough in a buttered pie or cake pan, brush with melted butter, and place the there half of the dough on top. bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. 

For fruit shortcake, split, spread with sweetened fruit, replace top of shortbread, add more fruit and top with sweetened whipped cream.

Shortcake, ready for the oven!
Shortcake at the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment