Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Chinese Squab

Chinese Squab with Bok Choy

This recipe was yum! I've never cooked a bird smaller than a chicken, so I was very curious about this one. I have to say that having a personal poultry to eat for dinner is FUN!

Full disclosure, I had a hard time finding proper squabs so I settled for Cornish Game Hens. I used the marinade method rather than the brushing method, I think the result was spectacular. It sat in the marinade for about 2 hours, and it was perfect. The recipe does not include any specific quantities, I think that as long as you keep everything in proportion you can scale up or down as needed. I made 2 birds, and used about 2 cups of marinade. We ate it with Bok Choy sauteed with ginger and onions, and some sesame mushrooms.


Chinese Squab

Ian Hunter's 

Ingredients:

Squabs

Soy Sauce
Brown Sugar
Garlic

Directions:

With equal parts of soy sauce and brown sugar, and a few slices of garlic, paint small squabs that have been split in two. Allow to dry, paint agin, repeating several times. Or, soak an hour to two in the sauce, as a marinade. 

Place in a hot broiler, reduce heat slightly. Baste with sauce frequently during cooking. Broil 10-15 minutes or until well browned. 


Notes:

I am actually gun-shy when it comes to broiling, due to an unfortunate incident where I damn-near set the house on fire toasting coconut for a cake garnish :(
SO, instead or broiling, I baked the bird for 20 minutes  at 450 breast side down, then flipped and let it go 10 minutes more. Turned out pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, This blog is fantastic!!!! You have no idea what it means to see your own pics/notes/process along with Jean's recipes (the recipes we grew up with!). When Jean moved out of her apartment in Santa Monica to move in with Cliff, she had to clean up her stack of recipes. She said it was like a geological dig -- the further down she went, the more cream/butter/eggs there were!!
    Thank you so much for doing this. Are you okay to if we start sharing the blog link??
    You rock.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you like it! Go for it, I think it's ready to share. I love that the more she dug the more butter/eggs/cream she found, that sounds decadent! If you have any that you want to see or that are favorites pass them along, I can prioritize them. It's going to take a LONG time to cook my way through everything

      Delete